Do you know what’s scary?
The fact that an estimated 23 million Americans have had a package stolen1 from their front porch or mailbox. It’s true. Just look at your local news station and you’ll see video footage of what’s known as “Porch Pirates” stealing packages from doorsteps across the nation. With 51% of all purchases being conducted online and the holiday season fast approaching, this problem isn’t going away anytime soon.
If you want to protect your packages against thieves and reduce the crime in your community, it may be a good idea for your community to invest in a parcel delivery system. This article will review some package theft statistics, provide you with package theft prevention strategies, and highlight the benefits of using a parcel locker.
Here are the top five scary facts about package mail theft and how to prevent it:
- It happens. A staggering 11 million homeowners have had a package stolen in the last year, according to August Home and a study produced by research firm Edelman Intelligence. In the same report, it was also revealed that 74% of packages are stolen during the day when homeowners are at work and that the average value of stolen packages is $50-100.
- Some People Go to Great Lengths to Make Sure They’re Home for Their Package. According to a 2017 Shorr Packaging Corp. survey, 53% of respondents said they changed their plans so they could be home to get a package despite not having to sign for it and 20% of people will leave from work early if they are expecting a delivery.
- Some People Avoid Online Shopping Due to Fear of Package Theft: Shorr Packaging’s survey also revealed that 41% of people say they have avoided some purchases online for fear of package theft.
- It Peaks During Holiday Season. FedEx and UPS delivered more than 1 billion packages between Black Friday and Christmas Day 2016. Moreover, according to August Home’s survey, 70% of all homeowners expect to receive a package over the holiday season. There’s no denying that the holiday season brings a massive influx in the number of deliveries worldwide.
- Neighborhood Watches & Video Cameras Don’t Help. While it would be nice to think that having a neighborhood watch and/or video camera on your front porch would deter package theft the sad reality is that this just isn’t the case.
The best thing for package theft prevention? Invest in a parcel locker. Parcel lockers are electronic smart lockers that accept deliveries, notify recipients, and allow easy self-service pick-up around the clock.
Today’s parcel lockers combine modern software and hardware technologies to enable a smooth package delivery by couriers, who interact with the lockers with their existing handheld devices to assign the appropriate sized locker and the associated code that will open them. That code is automatically texted to the recipient’s mobile device of choice, who enters it into the locker to open the appropriate door to retrieve their package whenever they want – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
It’s impossible to have 100% security when a package is delivered right to your doorstep. The sad truth is that a thief can snatch it at any moment, leaving you without your package and in no position for a refund. However, when using a parcel delivery system, you can have complete confidence knowing that your personal belongings are safe and out of harm’s way.
We know that package theft can be scary but rest assured that parcel lockers help to fight off the trend of porch pirates!
For more facts about lockers, please check out our website or talk to one of our Parcel Pending representatives today.
- Worst holiday hazards–from ‘porch pirates’ to tree fires–and how to avoid them: http://www.insurancequotes.com/home/holiday-hazards-120215