Refrigerated Parcel Lockers Offer Solution for Growing Trend of Perishable Deliveries
2 Min Read
Written by: Parcel Pending
It’s no surprise that more and more consumers are shopping online for everything from groceries to flowers and wine, medications and more. That’s why it is so important as a property manager to get ahead of this rising trend by finding a no-hassle way to manage these perishable deliveries. After all, who wants to waste time trying to keep roses fresh or prevent a candle gift set from melting when there’s a million other more important tasks to tend to as a property manager.
The solution? Refrigerated package lockers. We’ve written previously about the top perishables that demand refrigerated lockers and now we’re sharing the below snap shot of data with you to demonstrate just how much these items are growing among top deliveries:
- Studies show that online grocery spending is growing at a compound rate of nearly 20% annually.
- While online grocery spending made up about 4.3% of total grocery spend last year, by 2025, about 20% of grocery spend will be made online.
- In 10 years, more than 70% of American households will engage in online grocery shopping.
- Food gifting:
- Food gifting sales reached about $18 billion in 2017; an increase of 3.5% from 2015.
- 28% of food gifters have purchased chocolates within the last year.
- Meal kits:
- Meal kits are currently a $2.2 billion business and will grow 25-30% annually over the next 5 years.
- The global epharmacy market was valued at almost $30 billion in 2014, and is expected to grow 17.7% annually to 2023.
- The North American epharmacy market is currently valued at $10.8 billion and is growing about 17% annually.
- Online flower shopping and delivery has grown 6.9% annually from 2012 to 2017.
- Revenue for online florists has grown 2.5% annually, while walk-in flower shop revenue has declined 1.2% annually.
- Direct-to-consumer wine shipments grossed $2 billion in 2015, 8.1% higher than 2014.
- Consumers spend $4.3 billion on online cosmetic purchases annually.
- 36% of women now buy skin care products online, compared to 24% in 2012.
- Over half (54%) of shoppers have purchased beauty items online.
Clearly, the list of perishable items includes more than simply food and beverages. In addition to the above, many other common items that are delivered can melt if left in the sun or heat, including wax items, collectables or anything plastic.
Refrigerated lockers represent a long-needed solution to delivering perishable goods to multi-family communities – and the opportunity for property managers to offer a needed, value-add service to their residents.