How Parcel Pending Makes Package Pickup Easy for Retailers
4 Min Read
Written by: Parcel Pending
E-commerce is growing at a staggering rate. According to Forrester, digital-influenced retail sales in the United States are projected to increase from $2.7 trillion in 2022 to $3.8 trillion in 2027.1 Additionally, online sales are projected to grow five times faster than offline sales.2 These figures should come as no surprise considering 80 percent of Americans now shop online and 62 percent of them make online purchases every week.3
However, consumers aren’t just clicking to buy and waiting patiently for their orders – they’re demanding instant gratification. Over half – 61 percent – of consumers want the goods they order online to be in their hands within one to three hours of placing an online order.4 That is why more and more consumers are tapping BOPIS (Buy Online, Pick Up In-Store) as their go-to shopping method. In fact, studies show that consumer adoption of BOPIS has increased by 47 percent year-over-year,5 and 90 percent of retailers have committed to implementing a BOPIS solution by next year.6
Below, we’ll take a look at how Parcel Pending’s BOPIL retail solutions can help retailers supercharge, simplify and streamline their BOPIS process and make package pickup easy for retailers:
Pick up your package at your convenience
It is vital to get customers what they want as quickly and conveniently as possible. BOPIL retail locker solutions make it quick, easy and convenient for customers to retrieve their online orders and goods at their convenience. With BOPIL, there is no longer a need to schedule a pickup or call pickup.
And for retailers, BOPIL eliminates the time-consuming hassles of creating shipping labels, determining how much a package weighs, dealing with the post office, making a call to pick up, coordinating pick-up times or trying to remember the number of packages for the pickup service.
The way BOPIL works is simple. Once an online retail order is fulfilled – be it clothing, electronics or more – the items are placed into one of the Parcel Pending lockers located at participating retail store locations. Customers are then instantly notified by text or email and provided with a unique access code that they can type or scan at the locker kiosk. They can then quickly and easily pick up their online order at their convenience by going to the retail store and entering their personal access code into the locker. What’s more, all deliveries and customer pick-ups are monitored, tracked and verified by Parcel Pending’s built-in cameras and infrared scanners to provide complete chain of custody for all orders.
BOPIL is designed to free up retail staff time so they can focus on building brand relationships and loyalty with in-store customers while also driving in-store purchases. BOPIL retail solutions boost staff efficiencies by providing fewer distractions and streamlining inventory audits allowing retail staff to focus more on in-store customers and brand engagement. BOPIL solutions also eliminate the outdated, time-consuming and unproductive method of retail staff searching, coordinating and releasing online orders. When customers arrive at the store, they expect the item to be waiting for them- not the other way around. With BOPIL, the risk of lost items and delays impacting the customer pickup experience are dramatically reduced. Stale merchandise is also back on store floors faster improving the potential for sales.
In fact, retailers can save an average of 45 hours per month managing BOPIS with BOPIL. By reducing time spent managing BOPIS, store staff can focus on being knowledgeable, engaging resources for customers.
Improved Customer Experience & Revenue
Let’s face it. Consumers don’t want to have to make a package pickup request, find a pickup location or pay pickup fees just to retrieve their online orders and goods. This is where Parcel Pending’s BOPIL retail locker solutions come into play. BOPIL enhances the customer experience by making it quick, easy and convenient for customers to retrieve their online orders. Customers can be in and out of the store with their goods within just seconds compared to the outdated method of waiting 10-15 minutes for a store associate to locate and provide their order. In fact, reports show that a seamless BOPIS experience makes consumers 78 percent more likely to become recurring customers, and 61 percent of all customers make an additional, unplanned purchase when retrieving their BOPIS order with BOPIL.7
BOPIL equips retailers with the tools they need to execute a seamless BOPIS experience. Parcel Pending specifically designed their BOPIL retail locker solutions to save staff time, boost operational efficiencies and maximize overall revenue.
- Jitender Miglani, FORRESTER. US Digital-Influenced Retail Sales Will Top $3.8 Trillion In 2027. (2022, August 2). https://www.forrester.com/blogs/us-digital-influenced-retail-sales-will-top-3-8-trillion-in-2027/
- Keyes, Daniel. BusinessInsider. E-Commerce will make up 17% of all US retail sales by 2022 – and one company will be the main reason. (2017, August 11). https://www.businessinsider.com/e-commerce-retail-sales-2022-amazon-2017-8#:~:text=Forrester%20predicts%20that%20online%20sales,cited%20by%20Digital%20Commerce%20360
- Smith, Aaron & Andersen, Monica. Pew Research Center. Online Shopping & E-Commerce. (2016, December 19). https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2016/12/19/online-shopping-and-e-commerce/
- Lindner, Matt. Digital Commerce 360. Shoppers want their online orders faster. (2016, January 21). https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2016/01/21/shoppers-want-their-online-orders-faster/
- Sterling, Greg. Marketing Land. Online shopping revenues will reach $126 billion by December 31, says Adobe. (2018, December 22). https://marketingland.com/online-shopping-revenues-will-reach-126-billion-by-december-31-says-adobe-254347
- Zebra 2017 Global Retail Vision Study. “Infographic: Reinventing Retail,” by Zebra Technologies, 2017. Zebra Technologies, https://www.zebra.com/us/en/solutions/industry/retail.html
- Yoon, Sangwon. Riskified. A Field Guide to Boosting Omnichannel Success Through BOPIS. (2019, January 16). https://www.riskified.com/blog/a-field-guide-to-boosting-omnichannel-success-through-bopis/