Virtual Resident Event Ideas: Fostering a Community of Engagement, Retention, & Satisfaction
4 Min Read
Written by: Parcel Pending
After more than a year of feeling as if their lives are on-hold, residents are clamoring for community and social interaction. Be the local hero by adding some excitement, interest, and goodwill with these virtual resident event ideas for your apartment community. Remember, too, that events are one of the best apartment marketing ideas, as they spur resident retention, engagement, and satisfaction.
It’s a Party!
- Bingo – Who doesn’t like bingo? And here’s a great idea for safely distributing your bingo cards to each resident: place them in your smart lockers. Residents retrieve them on their own time without waiting or social crowding. You can also add M&Ms, Skittles, or Hershey Kisses to your bundle for attendees to use as chips to cover the bingo boards.
- Movie Night – Of course you can watch a movie by yourself, but welcome to Teleparty. Join over 10 million folks who have downloaded the Chrome extension that works with Netflix, Hulu, Disney, and HBO. This community event allows neighbors to chat throughout as attendees type “OMG! Did you see that explosion?” or “I love Dwayne Johnson.”
- Online Talent Show – Given the continuing success of American Idol, The Voice, and The Masked Singer, clearly the thirst for good and crazy talent persists. Welcome current residents to a talent show by having them create a video and then compile them for the event night. Let residents vote for their top three contestants. Don’t forget to set parameters on the type and length of the video. One of the hidden benefits of this event is that it focuses the attention on the residents while also creating community buzz.
- Lip Sync Battle – This is one of our top rated ideas because no talent is required! Let residents of your community strut their stuff. Similar to Fun Flings above, create boundaries and compile the videos. Get ready to rock n’ roll and laugh your socks off.
- Trivia Time – Here’s another fun resident event idea – trivia! What’s great about this event is that you can tailor the questions to the demographics of your apartment community. Have mostly boomer residents? 80’s flashback questions are a good idea. Are your residents primarily millennials? Get ready for a ton of tech trivia. Use pictures, video clips and images that connect to form a name or phrase to keep the program interesting.
Better Business Boosts
- Productivity Webinar – A community event that continues to earn raves is a productivity “Zoominar.” Whether it’s The Bullet Journal Method, creating lists, or prioritizing tasks, any person can appreciate the acknowledgement of the many tasks that they’re juggling. Whether it’s the college student excited to return to campus or a professional embracing the work from home landscape, there is room for everyone to enhance their productivity. Why not be the vehicle that helps your residents collectively improve their daily schedules?
- Work from Home Tricks and Tips – With approximately 42% of Americans still working from home, residents continue to battle the work/life battle equation, seek solutions on boosting productivity, and search for solutions to staying connected with colleagues. Bring in guest experts or tap-in to residents who can share their expertise. Plus, allowing guests to offer their suggestions via chat boosts interaction, engagement, and community.
Jump for Joy and Exercise
- Virtual Yoga – Now’s the perfect time to introduce a virtual yoga program. With one in three Americans having tried yoga and 67% practicing at home, instructor-led classes allow beginners and yogis to appreciate the calm. You can hire an instructor, stream through social media (such as Facebook or Instagram Live) or license a program for your community of residents.
- Remote Workouts – For those wild and more active apartment dwellers, aim for a higher energy alternative to yoga. Events like these include pump up aerobic classes, dance moves, or cardio weightlifting.
Contests, Prizes, and Gifts – Oh My!
With your trivia night, lip sync battles, or talent contests, don’t forget to offer prizes and gifts to residents in your apartment building. Prizes are easily, safely, and securely distributed through automated parcel locker systems without human interaction. You have to love the way Almaville Farms at Seven Oaks in Tennessee kicked off the installation of its new Parcel Pending lockers with “door” prizes delivered directly to the lockers!
The bottom line here is that events are crucial to creating a solid residential community. Virtual events help demonstrate your commitment to residents as well as boost renewals, referrals, and satisfaction (which can help you attract prospective residents). During this transitional period with COVID-19, creating fun and functional resident activities keeps everyone safe and happy.