Your team relies on you for organization and efficiency. Here are a few new ideas to tackle classic problems and ensure every day is a reflection of your best work.
The role of an office manager is infinitely varied and rigorous. Each office operates like its own ecosystem, with a manager directly responsible for the success of its employees through creative problem solving, organization, and time management. While every workplace is different, there are a wealth of new and exciting tools out there to keep you—and everyone else!—on track. We’ve collected four of our favorite office manager tips and tricks for keeping the office running smoothly:
- Make your workspace work for you
- Upgrade your ‘To Do’ list
- Let packages sort themselves with commercial lockers
- Streamline communications
Make Your Workspace Work For You
It’s impossible to stay organized in a chaotic workspace. Keeping your desk neat and serviceable sets a strong foundation for your own efficiency. Gone are the days of crowded, cluttered workspaces, tangled power cords, and overstuffed letterboxes. Here are a few tips to keep you organized and help you focus even on the craziest days.
- Use a streamlined charging station for all your devices. No tangled chords and you can even mix and match different types of phone chargers to make sure it’s accessible to anyone.
- Take care of your health by using ergonomically correct keyboards, chairs, and desks.
- Utilize vertical space by investing in a tower-style desk organizer. Try implementing an organizational system to keep the most pressing papers on top, decreasing in urgency on each shelf so your workflow is uninterrupted by wasting time and searching for something that’s due today.
Upgrade Your To-Do List
Gone are the days of colored sticky notes cluttering every surface. Never lose a to-do list again by introducing the world’s best organization apps into your life. There’s something for every kind of office manager—the writer, the visual thinker, the multitasker. Here are three favorites for task management:
- Momentum: Momentum greets you with a stunning photograph that’ll get you thinking about your next vacation. But before you get too distracted, check out their To-Do list feature. It’s simple, streamlined, and you get the satisfaction of checking a box to wipe your list at the end of a productive day.
- Evernote: This one is for the writers out there. Not only can you create a detailed daily to-do list, but you can combine all your note-taking needs in one place. Evernote’s templates are particularly useful in a time crunch, so you don’t have to spend any valuable work time building your own documents from scratch.
- Wunderlist: Wunderlist’s highly functional design allows you to manage many lists at the same time, set reminders, keep track of important notes, and even create voice recordings. Best of all, invite coworkers to collaborate to get lists checked of concurrently.
Let Packages Sort Themselves
With the exponential growth of online shopping, making sure each package gets delivered to its owner can feel like a full-time job. Having boxes pile up next to your desk is stressful and can mean an increase in lost packages and accidental pick-ups of the wrong items. Handoff the role of ‘mailman’ to new technology in the workplace like Parcel Pending’s customizable storage locker. A locker delivery system ensures everything is received as securely as possible through a few easy steps:
- The Parcel Pending mobile app lets each person track their personal package delivery.
- Built-in cameras capture each delivery and each pick up to make sure packages are falling into the right hands.
- Scanning a barcode enables rapid package delivery and retrieval.
- Parcel Pending lockers receive deliveries from all couriers so every package is deliverable, 100% of the time.
Not only is this an efficient way to manage and organize your office, but it doubles as an innovative employee perk that keeps your employees happy.
Streamline Your Communication Channels
You know what it feels like to repeat the same message over and over again. Keeping up with everyone’s preferred method of communication and scheduling can be overwhelming. Thankfully, there are new platforms available to improve back-and-forth every day. Below, are a few of the most efficient communication channels to improve the success of the workplace:
- Calendly: Calendly is the easiest way to automatically schedule meetings without the agonizing back-and-forth between parties. You can connect up to six calendars to automatically check availability. Notifications keep everyone updated while setting a ‘minimum scheduling notice’ makes sure there’s always enough time to prepare.
- Basecamp: Get everyone organized in one place. Basecamp works best for communications surrounding projects in collaborative office spaces. Project-specific message boards mean everyone is in the loop, and no one receives alerts that don’t directly concern them.
- ActiveInbox: ActiveInbox ensures no email communications or follow-ups slip through those proverbial internet cracks. It’s a seamless email management tool that allows you to turn messages requiring action into tasks. The ‘send later’ function is a lifesaver; you don’t have to rely on your own memory to reply in a timely manner, especially if you’re spread across different time zones.
Don’t be afraid to mix-and-match these office management tips to come up with a customized solution for your office space. As office manager, you know your workplace best and can incorporate new services and apps based on our company culture. Pick and choose which tips and tricks you like best to maximize your efficiency and contribute to a thriving workplace.
Nation Master. Online Shopping Trends 2019 & Key Figures – What You Need to Know. January 14, 2019. https://www.nationmaster.com/ecommerce
NY Mag. The Best Ergonomic Keyboards and Mouses to Prevent Wrist Pain. http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-ergonomic-keyboards-mouses-prevent-wrist-pain.html